Crystal Reports Error 0x800401f3 Connecting To Access

All my Crystal Reports which connect to Microsoft Access using DAO suddenly stopped working, giving error code 0x800401f3. Login Failed. Details: Error Code: 0x800401f3. Seeing as you've found this, has it happened to your reports too? Here's how I fixed it.

Crystal Error 0x800401f3

All reports are affected which connect using the DAO database driver, both in the report designer (which displays the database login box when trying to connect), and in run-time mode from applications. I tried reinstalling Microsoft Office including Access, AND Crystal Reports (version 9). Neither fixed the problem. Probably what's happened is that you've uninstalled something that's messed up the registration of the DAO DLL in the registry. What I did eventually was to re-register the DAO driver DLL. Here's how to do it.

  • Open a DOS prompt

    Find "Command Prompt" or "DOS Prompt" in your start menu and open it. (You might need to right-click it, and choose "Open As..." "Administrator" to get the later registration process to work if you don't have permission, or you're using Vista or Windows 7).

  • Locate the DAO driver DLL

    We need to find where the file DAO360.DLL is located. Enter dir c:\dao360.dll /s in the command prompt. It's probably in c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO, but see where it is on your system. You might find more tha one copy, but we want the one that's in a similar place to the one above.

  • Register the DLL

    Enter regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll". Replace the path if the DLL is in a different place on your system.

That should get it going again! Good luck.

Crystal Error 0x800401f3 Fixed.
Page Updated 01/05/10